As the user experience designer working at FarmQA, I define FarmQA's vision of providing IoT and machine learning analytics to growers across the world. My job responsibilities range from defining the vision for our software products, researching our users, defining the design language, SEO and marketing, and meeting our customers' needs.
Principal Designer — FarmQA
Responsible for all aspects of the user experience of FarmQA's suite of products. As part of the engineering team, I designed and helped implement our first mobile product, FarmQA Scouting. I have directed the effort to redesign the FarmQA logo, and I have defined a visual language for FarmQA products based on the Material design language.
Current accomplishments include:
- Completed 2 stages of the redesign of FarmQA Controller. The first phase involved reworking the base navigation. The 2nd was redesigning the map interface. Goals of both efforts were to make an elegant, usable, consistent, and appealing experience for our users.
- Designed and developed FarmQA.com with current SEO practices.
- Directed the completion of a new logo and brand system for FarmQA.
- Designed our first mobile application, FarmQA Scouting.
- Designed trade show marketing materials.
User Experience Designer — Microsoft
Responsible for the design and user experience architecture of a wide range of experiences within Microsoft Dynamics including applications for Finance and HR departments. In this role, I translated user requirements, business problems, and scenarios into efficient interfaces using storyboards, wireframes, prototypes, and usability testing.
As part of a collaborative team, defined the user interface implementation strategy and architecture for the web-based presentation framework, specifically defining how HTML and CSS were used. Responsible for ensuring the accessibility of our product designs.
Additional responsibilities include abstracting the core interaction patterns from a set of over 3000 pages with the end goal of creating a framework for consistency in the user interface.
- As user experience architect, defined the strategy of the HTML5 Dynamics AX for desktop and mobile.
- Defined the HTML5 and CSS3 coding guidelines for the presentation framework and implemented the LESS CSS compiler.
- Led the implementation of the CSS3 framework for the presentation framework and mentored other designers in CSS3.
- Designed the Dynamics AX 2012 user experience in collaboration with other designers.
- Wrote guidelines for program managers and third party ISVs.
- Designed the user experiences for an HTML based HRM module.
- Defined and designed a new information architecture for Microsoft Dynamics.
- Designed and received a patent application for a dynamic user interaction model based on the configuration of an adaptive business process.
FarmQA Controller provides the user with a portal to the farm data. Controller provides multiple map layers as well as a task based system for managing the data collected about each of the fields. This interface is map based and layers multiple types of information together, allowing the users to make informed decisions about their operation.
FarmQA Scouting is a cross platform mobile application for iOS and Android. The app targets farm hands who scout fields during the growing season. FarmQA Scouting supports a configurable question editor that allows a farm administrator to create custom scouting templates for each crop.
FarmQA Web Site
A priority after starting at FarmQA was to reimagine the FarmQA web site. Given our status as a startup, the primary goal of the site was to inform prospective customers and investors about the FarmQA vision in the realm of agricultural technology.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Talent
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Talent is a reimagined version the Microsoft Dynamics AX Human Resources module. As the primary designer on the project, I developed the design goals for this product. Those goals included:
- Simple - Since this was migrated from AX, it was inheriting a fair bit of complexity.
- Delightful - We wanted to improve upon the flow and function of the AX animations and took it to another level.
- Functional - Above all we still had to do all of the tasks that human resource managers need from an HR solution.
Also designed the innovative "people centric" navigation paradigm that focused the main navigation around people. The key element of this design is the people navigator, which presents the organization chart of a company as the primary way to navigate.
Microsoft Dynamics AX
This project reimagined Microsoft Dynamics AX from a Windows based application to a single page app.
As the user experience architect, I facilitated the design strategy for the common usage patterns and rework of AX from a Windows application to HTML. This project has required the design team to deliver:
- Task analysis and task type development based on the Dynamics Customer Model. The task type analysis led to the development of basic interaction patterns for an ERP system.
- Scenario development and research.
- Scenario based wireframes.
- Wireframe toolkit development.
- User interface component design and specification.
- User interface guidelines and upgrade strategies from the legacy product.
- Led a team of front-end developers working on the CSS and HTML for the client of Dynamics AX. Assisted in implementation of a visual test strategy and defined the architecture of CSS standards for the organization.
- Defined the CSS architecture for a multi-device, multiple theme and responsive web application.
- Control development within the custom Angular- like binding services developed for Dynamics AX.
Dynamics AX 2012
For the Dynamics AX 2012 release I led the team designing the core user experiences. This team researched the common problems and pain points across the system and determined how best to solve these issues for maximum benefit. The team redefined the patterns used by over 1000 forms.
This was to be a new HRM application integrating to Microsoft Dynamics to provide web-based access to human resource data to employees. As the lead designer, I delivered designs, guidelines and research. One of the primary innovations of this project was an interaction pattern library.
The design for activity centers was derived from an extended research and analysis project around the ERP customer model. The activity center is a set of elements helping a user understand the status of work in a long running business process. It does this by showing the user what they need to do to complete their work within that process and what other people are working on. The set of elements shown in an activity center is determined by the customized business process.
As shown below, activity centers can take many shapes as appropriate to the business process.
Project Time and Expense
This is an exploration of a product to allow people to log project time and expenses in a service industry on the Windows Phone platform. The core scenario for this mobile application is that of monitoring tasks and deliverables.